The purpose of ClearPass is to ensure that all computers connected to the University network meet minimum security requirements before being granted access. This applies to all computers connecting to the University network, even if you registered your system in the past.
ClearPass will install the OnGuard agent, which performs constant checks to ensure the device is up to date with Operating System and Anti-Virus updates. If your computer's anti-virus software isn't updated consistently or if the OnGuard agent is disabled, your computer will be blocked from accessing the Rowan Network.
The following instructions will help you register your Windows computer on the Rowan network
If you do not know your Rowan Network username and password go to: http://id.rowan.edu
INFO: Most Rowan owned computers that are part of the Active Directory Domain will not need to go through this registration process. All personal computers will need to be registered in order to get on the Rowan Network.
The only supported versions of Windows are are Windows 7 (released October, 2009), Windows 8 and Windows 10
Personal computers running any Windows operating system on the Rowan Network must have non-trial, licensed, fully updated Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware software installed. If you have multiple Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware packages installed on your computer they must all be fully updated to meet the requirements. Alternatively, you can uninstall all but your main Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware software.
**Avast has a known issue with blocking wireless connections and is not recommended**
NOTE: Rowan University offers McAfee Endpoint Security to students and employees for free to use on their personal computers.
Automated Installation (From on or off campus)
This installer will:
- Remove the old RowanWPA connection if it exists.
- Install the ClearPass OnGuard Agent.
- Add a connection for the RowanSecure wireless network.
Download RowanSecure.exe and double-click it to install. If you are running Windows 7, select "Yes" when prompted. If you are running Windows 8, select "Run anyway" when it asks if you want to run it. If you have any trouble running or installing the automated package, you should follow the manual instructions below.
Download the ClearPass Installer and then follow the instructions below.
Manual Installation: (From on campus only)
Connect to RowanSecure if you are using the Wireless Network. (If your computer is connected to the wired network, you may skip this step)
- Click the Wireless icon in the System Tray
- Click RowanSecure
- Click Connect
Installing the OnGuard Agent
1. Navigate to any webpage in your web browser.
2. You will be automatically redirected to the OnGuard Portal Page.
3. Click on the link to download the Windows OnGuard Agent.
4. Launch the downloaded file.
5. Select your Language and click “OK”.
6. Click on “Next” to start the OnGuard agent installation.
7. Click the checkbox to accept the License Agreement and then click “Install”.
8. You will be prompted to login to the OnGuard Agent. Enter your Rowan Network username and password.
9. A scan will be run to verify that your computer meets our security policy. You can right click on the agent icon then click “Restore” to see the progress of the scan. The current policy looks for Automatic updates being turned on and Antivirus installed with updates in the last month.
10. When the agent is done scanning, you can close OnGuard and connect to the Rowan Network.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your computer's anti-virus software isn't updated consistently or if the OnGuard agent is disabled, your computer will be blocked from accessing the Rowan Network.